Dr. Arthur Agatston developed a fad diet in the 1970s, fad diets are meal planners for weight loss that become popular for a brief period and yet fade away within some time. Now, you might be wondering which fad diet was developed by celebrity doctor Arthur Agatston. Dr. Arthur Agatston developed the South Beach Diet which is a low-calorie, low-fat diet.
Fad diets offer a quick solution to people who want to lose weight. However, it is also true that all fad diets don’t work and the biggest problem with them is that they cannot be followed in the long run.But the diet that was developed by Dr. Arthur Agatston helped thousands of patients lose weight and reduce the risk of getting heart disease and strokes. It is also a diet that celebrities are willing to publicly recommend and even endorse.
So, here we are going to discuss more about the fad diet created by Dr. Arthur Agatston and we will discuss points that can help you decide if this diet is worth trying or not.
What is the South Beach diet?
South Beach diet developed by Dr. Arthur Agatston is named after the South Beach which is a glamorous area in Miami. It is one of the most popular weight-loss programs around. The main focus of this diet is portion control and calorie restriction, people who have followed the South Beach diet have shown that it provides good result.
It is a short-term weight-loss program that typically requires strict adherence to an eating plan for just a few months to achieve the desired results.
South Beach diet mainly consists of:
- Lower carbohydrate consumption
- High Protein Consumption
Is the South Beach Diet a Fad diet?
So, you might be wondering if South Beach diet is a Fad diet? The answer is yes, it is! It was first created in the 1900s and later, he advanced the diet in 2003. It received a lot of attention over the last decade.
So, what makes the South Beach diet a fad diet? The answer is that the diet promotes itself as being one of the easiest diet available today. This is not true for everyone as it can be difficult for overweight and obese people or for those who are struggling with any mental or emotional eating disorder.
The Time of creation of South Beach diet
The South Beach was created in 1995 by Dr. Arthur Agatston. He wanted to solve the problem of obesity as he saw what problems obesity could cause. People experienced illness and poor health because of their obesity and unhealthy lifestyle. The South Beach diet was also modified by Dr. Arthur Agatston in 2003 which caused it to grow more popular.
South Beach Diet can help in Hunger Control
It is very important for those who want to lose weight to understand their hunger. The South Beach diet suggests patients to drink a lot of water and be hydrated which can help them in controlling their hunger. Because dehydration can lead to hunger and if you are hungry, you are likely to feed on unhealthy snacks which in turn will lead in high calorie consumption.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of South Beach diet
Here, we are going to discuss about the advantages and disadvantages of the South Beach diet. These points can help you decide if this diet is good for you or not.
- You are not strictly following a low-carb diet; instead, moderations in this diet are sufficient.
- Easy to follow.
- You are allowed to eat almost all types of stuff. However, moderation is the key and it is less stringent.
- This diet doesn’t strictly prohibit you from eating some part of stuff and encourages some other specific items. It helps in developing healthy habits and lets you maintain best meal practices in the long run. However, moderation is required as you cannot refrain from carbs and sugar for a long time, as it can cause serious health issues.
- The South Beach diet is claimed to have the best results in the short run. However, in long-term benefits are not discussed.
- There is no evidence that it will help heart patients lose weight or maintain BP.
- Most fad diets like keto come with lower fiber consumption. This is okay for a limited period, but cutting it for a great time can cause serious health issues.
- It can also lead to risk of Nausea, headache, and Mental fatigue.
- Dehydration and dizziness can also arise in this diet but you can overcome it by drinking plenty of water.
Why people might follow the South Beach Diet
The South Beach diet is a low-calorie diet, which consists mainly of vegetables, fruits, protein, limited amounts of whole grains, and dairy products. It may seem that the diet is quite restrictive but, it does not require people to cut out entire food groups.
There are seven principles that governs the South Beach Diet:
- Eat Real Food: Only natural, unprocessed and whole foods.
- Eat Moderately: Patients are encouraged to eat moderately means eating fewer calories than needed.
- Foods with nutrient density: Choose food that is high in nutrients and low in calories.
- Variety: Variety is the key to a healthy diet.
- Exercise: Moderate exercise helps in losing weight.
- Plenty of water: Hydration is important for staying healthy.
- Enjoy Food: Eating should be enjoyable without any guilt.
So, these were some of the principles that governs the diet. Patients should follow these to have a healthy diet.
In this article, we discussed about which fad diet was developed by celebrity doctor Arthur Agatston. We also discussed about how the South Beach diet works. We have also discussed about when the diet was created and why it was named South Beach diet. We have also discussed about the advantages and disadvantages of the South Beach diet which can help you decide if you can follow South Beach diet or not. The seven principles of the diet are also discussed in this article.
Thank You for Reading!!